HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

December 27, 2012

Christmas, Part I

Christmas has always been one of my favorite holidays (okay, I love all holidays), and every year, when December the 25th comes, I find myself thinking, "Surely, my life can't get better than this?" Of course, with every year, it does get better.

This year, as with the last four years, Tim was away working for Christmas. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. The week leading up to Christmas was hard for me -- With Maile understanding more of the Christmas season, it just isn't the same without her Dada home. On Christmas Eve, I felt pretty darn sorry for myself, but that night, I was determined to have a wonderful Christmas Day with Maile!

My friend Sara, whose boyfriend also had to work, came over to spend the day with me and Maile. In the morning, I had Maile open the gifts sent by my mom and dad ... her Marmee and Papa. For the rest of the day, we ate cookies, colored, and read storybooks. After Maile went to bed, Sara and I made apricot-smothered pork chops, and watched The Holiday and Horton Hears a Who. It wasn't a particularly extraordinary day, but it was a good day, full of friendship and warmth. 

I hope you all had a beautiful Christmas, surrounded by your loved ones. I know this probably sounds cheesy, but I look at my life: my amazing provider of a husband, my baby girl, all that the Lord has blessed us with, and I think, "What could possibly fulfill me more than this? Certainly not material presents." My life is really something wonderful.


... beautiful handmade rocker, with her name burned and painted into it ...



... traditional gift of new pajamas (not pictured) ...




... books are the best presents of all -- especially Llama books ...





... I'm looking forward to sharing our "real" Christmas with you, early in the New Year!

With Maile, it's guaranteed to be cute.

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like regardless of the situation you had a lovely Christmas, and how wonderful that you have friends that you can relate to! Hope your "real" Christmas is great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your and your family's ability to roll with the punches and make the best out of touch situations. Maile is a lucky little girl to have such a strong mama and daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trista! There are a few options ... one of which is to sit around and feel sorry (which I admit, I did), but another is to make your own sunshine, so to speak. :) I hope you had an awesome Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I almost cried reading this... I'm glad we got to spend the day together . <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sad for you, but more than that, I'm inspired by your beautiful heart. Your attitude and determination to make the best of it is wonderful, and such a fantastic example to set for Maile. I can't wait until you get to have your second Christmas, celebrating as a cozy family. Big hugs to you!!! (and that rocking chair is precious!!) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words always mean so much to me, Andrea. I have been working hard on being real with God. He knows my heart anyway, why try to hide it? It's amazing what good can come of a crappy situation when you "let go, and let God." Hugs to you too, my friend! (And yes, my parents definitely spoiled Maile this year with the rocking chair!)

      Delete
  5. Aww so sorry your husband had to be away :( Glad you still had a great Christmas though! your little one is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Raquel! I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

      Delete
  6. What a perfect, quiet day with you and your beautiful girl, and your amazing friend! You are such a wonderful, blessed person hon!
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty great! Love the pictures from your Christmas, girl -- that top you wore? Amazing!

      Delete
  7. That is tough to have your husband away for christmas, but it seems like yall made the most of it. My boys call my mom 'Marme' also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that is so sweet! Yes, as military families do (I should know, growing up an Army brat -- haha), sometimes we roughneck families have to make our own holidays! :) It can be hard, but it's important that we remember that holidays aren't about dates, they're about purpose and feeling. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Kate!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad your friend Sara shared the day with you. It can be special to celebrate the holiday as a family on a totally different day. We've done that before...when we were traveling and wanted to have just a small family holiday to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kimberly! Yes, I agree that "off" celebrations can be a lot of fun -- like a secret holiday, just for your family. ;) I hope you had a wonderful holiday! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. oh, friend...I'm so encouraged by you and your willingness to press on, even though it's hard not having your husband around (especially during Holidays!)
    It looks like Maile still had a lovely Christmas (with wonderful gifts, to boot!)

    I hope your Christmas celebration with your whole family will be amazing and well worth the wait!

    Bless you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my darling Kristin -- thank you for your sweet words. I've missed you around the "interwebs", but I'm so glad you're taking some time to recharge and refocus. ::hugs:: <3

      Delete
  10. You put such a positive spin on this celebration!
    I'm impressed.
    LOVE the chair, darling.
    Looking forward to following your family adventures!
    Lovely little Maile is a lucky wee princess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! It's important to do just that, I think. I'm a firm believer in "fake it 'til you make it" when it comes to certain things. ;)

      The chair was a gift from my parents. Such a lovely keepsake! Maile is fortunate to have very thoughtful grandparents.

      Delete
  11. that girl of yours is so sweet looking! I had the holidays off three years in a row now (November babies), but previously I worked every holiday for 4 years! You just gotta make the best day you can, and it looks like you had a lovely one =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree, Grace! We did have a nice day. Looking forward to celebrating with my hubby. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness, first of all, Maile's squat...is ADORABLE! Lol. Those little toesies.
    You guys are super lucky too, you get to have two Christmases. :)
    Also, I absolutely love that rocking chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Okay, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!!! I love that little stance of hers.

      I love the way you see that! Two Christmases. I hadn't even thought of it that way. :)

      My parents sent her the rocking chair ... she absolutely loves it!

      Delete
  13. Looks like a truly perfect Christmas!
    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! We had a great day, but I can't wait to celebrate with Tim!

      Delete
  14. these pictures are sooo adorable! so glad I stumbled upon your blog! new follower!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a beautiful family. Glad you had a lovely Christmas. Have a happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete