HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

October 26, 2012

Mama


I don't use the word blessing often. Not because I don't value it. But because I value it so much. I'm not one to casually express "What a blessing!" or "You are blessed!" Not because I don't believe that the Lord continually blesses us, but because for me, there is a rare sacredness to all forms of the word bless. This is not to say that those who use forms of it often, value it any less ... In my walk of faith, though, it is heavy. Solemn. To be blessed. To receive blessings. These are the gifts which overwhelm. Which render me wordless.

Psalm 127:3-5 (NIV) tells us: Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. 

I am blessed to be called "Mama" by Maile. This sweet, beautiful, energetic girl. I cannot even begin to share with you how many times a day that she touches my heart. How she overwhelms me. How do you explain motherhood? Except to say that it changes life in a way that nothing else can. 

Maile has brought the most joy into our home that Mr. M and I have ever experienced. A love that grows more and more crushing with each passing day. We absolutely adore, with all of our hearts, being her parents. We feel privileged to be her parents. 

I never thought that anyone could give me butterflies the way Mr. M still does. But those nights that we sneak into bed with Maile, on either side of her. We smell our baby girl's sweet hair. Silently squeeze each other's hands, under the pillow, under Maile's head, three times: "I. love. you." We smile. Close our eyes. And there they are ... butterflies. An entirely different sort. 

Yet butterflies, still.

22 comments:

  1. Aw! You have such a way with words..And I totally know what you mean by the different sort of butterflies! Such a BLESSING:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Katie. So. Beautiful. Those words were touching. I really am blessed to have Jeremy. I think that's why I feel so angry whenever my parents tell me they wished better for me, but they have no idea how blessed I am and how having Jeremy was the best thing that ever happened to me. They truly are gifts from God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! I can't imagine how I would feel if anyone -- ESPECIALLY my parents -- told me that I was anything but blessed to have Maile. The most important thing is that you love Jeremy with all your heart, and I don't even have to see you in person to know that that's true, and that you would do anything for him!

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful words. I agree, there just really is no way to really explain what being a mama does to your heart and how much it changes your life. That picture of the two of you is so sweet too, you are both so beautiful! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! I feel like every day, I learn a little more about what my mom meant when she would sometimes tell me, "Just wait until you have a daughter of your own ..."

      Delete
  4. i too don't use the word too much... but it's so good to reflect and truly count was is a gift in our lives. i especially love that reflection/focus this time of year with thanksgiving approaching.

    thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know you were there. i've enjoyed visiting yours for sure! your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Katie! With the holiday season fast approaching, it's so important to sit back and reflect on those things that are really, truly important.

      Thank you so much for visiting -- I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment!

      Delete
  5. This post is soooo sweet, Katie! You couldn't have said it any better. Being a mama is the BEST. Every day is cherished and sacred. You are one awesome mama!
    Have a great weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, friend! I know I'll keep trying, but the feeling being a mama gives you really is indescribable, isn't it? :)

      Enjoy the weekend with your hubby and sweet babe!

      Delete
  6. This is an adorable post and you seem totally blessed :)

    xo Emilie @ Hungry Delights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emilie! You have such a cute blog -- Looking forward to exploring it more.

      Delete
  7. Just.too.sweet. For every time our son has frustrated us, there is another when my hubby and I gaze at him together in mutually in awe of him. Truly a blessing. I love the way you express it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And in those frustrating times, I find it helps to imagine her being her sweet little self. :) Thanks so much, Sarah!

      Delete
  8. Precious words, my friend. I would print these out and give them to Maile as a birthday present for a significant birthday :) My dad gave me a letter he wrote to me the day I was born on my 13th bday. Sweetest letter of my life. Your heart is so beautiful. We're going through the sermon on the mount (matthew 5) in church right now, and the word "blessed" has taken on a whole new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michaela! I just love your idea to give this to Maile as a gift someday. I think I sometimes worry that my words aren't "good enough" (which is probably part of why only a couple months of Maile's baby book are filled in), but something that I'm learning is that children just want our love. Really! That's all! :)

      My dad is a retired Army chaplain, and is still ministering as the senior pastor at a church -- Every year, he does a Sermon on the Mount series, and I never cease to be amazed that after decades of preaching, he always has a new take on such a simple, but profound, piece of scripture. I know just what you mean by seeing something like the word "blessed" in a new light! The Bible really is alive, isn't it!?

      Delete
  9. What a blessing!! I love how you express about your family. I don't have children myself but I can only imagine when I do how blessed I'll be. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. living blessing is really important in our home.

    this is a delightful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Denise. Thank you for stopping by -- Looking forward to checking out your blog!

      Delete
  11. Being a mama truly is a blessing and you can only understand the depth of it once you have kids of your own. I love how you expressed your feelings for her and the butterflies, totally understand them. It's nice to read about a mama having those. I feel blessed to feel that with my little girl and it's the best kind of love. Maile is one lucky girl (she's beautiful and love her name) with such a mama

    Love your blog!

    love from Belgium

    ReplyDelete