HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

October 29, 2012

Snow Day


The night of the snow, I woke up what I swear was every hour (though I didn't look at my clock phone). I think I was just so excited by it. Snow for Maile. The night was long, and full of anticipation for me, and I kept thinking "Snow for Maile. I can't wait to see her face! Snow for Maile ... What will she say?" 

By 6 in the morning, I gave up trying to sleep and started waiting. Watching my sweet baby sleep in the crook of my arm. I had been exhausted the night before, but there I was, wide awake at 6-something in the morning. And while I laid there snuggling Maile, it kind of hit me how this little girl has given me a new perspective, as a mother. I used to groan at the thought of snow. Having to go out in it. Being cold. But really, it isn't so bad. In fact, it's pretty magical. Sure, it's a bit chilly and wet, and stuff like that -- and our dogs drag it inside, creating water spots on our hardwood floors, but I digress ... 

What makes it worth it? Maile's whisper, upon her first sight of snow in the morning: "Wooooooow ..." The beautiful, wonderful expression of awe on her face that I will keep close to my heart for the rest of my life. Snow days. They're pretty great, after all.

17 comments:

  1. what a treasured moments hearing her cute little reaction to the snow. Sometimes I wish we lived in a place that snowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty amazing, Shannon! Where do you live? :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for snow! Kara has that same jacket in purple. :) Hoping we get at least one snow day way down here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for North Face look-a-likes for a fraction of the price. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow snow! how fun. I can imagine how ecstatic your daughter was to see snow! I don't get to see snow here in AZ.. but sometimes I wish I did! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just enough snow to make it fun, especially since (with the altitude we're at, in Colorado) the sun made the day seem warmer than it actually was. :)

      Delete
  4. I've never experienced snow before...its always summer all year round in my country. Would love to feel snow one day :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I think I'd like to live in a place where it's summer year round! I'd love to visit Singapore someday, for sure.

      Delete
  5. ugh, what a reaction from Maile! That's sooo sweet. I'm glad it didn't melt away so she could get out and enjoy it. We're still waiting over here for our first snow (but I'm ok with that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd certainly be okay without snow yet, too! But we had sunshine and 70 degrees today, so the warm hasn't gone away for good yet. :)

      Delete
  6. That is such a pretty and vibrant picture. I don't have kiddos yet but I guess when you view things through an eye of a child your perspective really can change. Until then I will dread the Chicago winters! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer! I agree, snow takes on a whole new (fun) life, through Maile's eyes. :)

      Chicago is probably my favorite US city. One of them, at least. If the winters weren't so harsh (and gloomy), I think I could live there in a second!

      Delete
  7. Love this! I'm excited for our first snowfall this year for this very same reason :) So happy to be following along in your newest adventures now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Virginia winters can be lovely (I attended college there). Thanks so much for following, Kendra!

      Delete
  8. love this photo! you take some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow! I'm jealous!! It's been above 80* here for the past few days in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete