HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

September 25, 2012

Downtown Aquarium: Part I


This weekend, we spent an afternoon at Denver's Downtown Aquarium. If you've never been, it's really something -- especially for a city that's totally landlocked. Maile recently started saying "fish", so we knew it was the perfect time to take a little jaunt into the city for a swimming good time (haha).

When I watch Mr. and Baby M together, I feel like the luckiest girl on earth. I loved watching Mr. M guide Maile through the sea of people. (I'm not going to be able to stop ... You know this, right?) Swooping her up for a closer look. And hearing Maile's excited, "That? That? FEESH?!" Even among the crowds, the day felt special, like it was just us. And I loved every minute of it.

Also, I am going to apologize for my lack of photography skills again. I should have just left my Canon on auto, because clearly, I am not advanced enough to switch settings on a dime. Still, even some of the out of focus pictures are worth sharing, I think. :)










10 comments:

  1. I think the pictures look pretty good. I hate having my camera on auto, because according to auto, I always need a flash. I hate flash. In this case, you probably did the right thing, though because flash is the devil in an aquarium.

    Justified. Your welcome. She's so beautiful. We might need a video of her saying fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Even when I do put my camera on one of the auto settings, I'm almost always using the "No Flash" setting.

      I always forget that I can take video on my iPhone -- I'll have to try to get a video of that! :)

      Delete
  2. How fun! I remember going on fun adventures like this with my parents when I was younger. When the light is poor, I put my canon rebel on "P", which basically does all of the lighting stuff for you. Sometimes I'll move the focus or adjust the light, but in P mode, most of my pictures turn out! And I never shoot with flash either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh, thank you so much for the advice, Michaela! I have a Canon Rebel T2i -- Perfect.

      Delete
  3. I just adore Maile's clothes!
    And don't even get me started on the pink All-Stars...
    I'm wanting to get James a pair of black ones. They're so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! That means a lot, because we thrift, or buy the great majority of Maile's clothes on clearance. That short-sleeved hoodie, for example, was actually free!

      And the Converse were $5.99 at our favorite thrift store for kids. I washed them on the gentle cycle and voila! Good as new. James would look adorable in All-Stars!

      If only I could have the same sort of thrifty luck for myself. ;)

      Delete
  4. Oooh I love that last picture!! Just keep pluggin along on manual girl! And I would HIGHLY recommend getting a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 lens. A whole new world! It took me a whole winter to even get a small grip on shooting manual, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! A 50mm lens has been on my wish list for awhile now -- Fingers crossed! ;)

      Delete
  5. I think you are doing a fantastic job! Just keep shooting! Remember, that in the beginning you WILL miss shots, and that's perfectly normal. All of us did/do. But the only way to get better is to practice your little butt off! :) I left my camera on manual for a full two weeks. No switching AT ALL. And I shot and shot and shot. And i missed a ton of shots. BUT. I learned! And now I rarely take it off manual, I like having all the control! Plus you learn so much about the way your camera works that way! So I'd say that this is a success! Your pictures are wonderful, truly! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so, so much for the encouragement, Andrea! I feel fumbly-dumbly and slow right now, LOL. It makes me feel better knowing that y'all have been there, too!

      Delete