HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

December 21, 2012

Friday's Letters


Cheeks full of cheese, and her very first "big girl" ponytail. I don't say it often myself, but I'm going to say it: How pretty is she!? Chipmunk cheeks and all.

Dear Cheese, Why can't you be calorie-free? After my whole no-dairy stint for Maile, I tried watching the amount I ingested for awhile, but I'm back to being a cheeseaholic. Luckily, I only have a little bit of goat cheese left, so I'll have to spread it out over the next week ... or hour. Whatever!

Dear Barnes & Noble, I have a confession. I still love you. Like really, really love you. You're familiar. In high school, and when I was home from college, my dad would treat me to nights out at B&N, where we'd spend hours looking, sharing, reading. Last week Tim and I took Maile to our local Barnes & Noble, and you'd think we took her to the Disney Store -- she was in heaven. My Kindle is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but there's just something about books.


Maile's very first visit to B&N, with my dad -- her Papa. She is about 3 months old in this picture, and yeah, she is passed. out. Papa was so proud that she fell asleep on him. Please forgive the quality; it was taken with my old BlackBerry!


Last week, with Dada. She may not be much bigger, but oh, how things have changed!

Dear Baking Season, Are you over yet? I'm oddly finding myself in such an anti-baking mood this year. I used to love baking, but between having to tweak recipes 10 different ways to not end up with cracker cookies or sunken breads (thanks a lot, Colorado elevation), and the cleanup involved (um, hello, I have a toddler), it's not something I'm enjoying so much anymore. Is it okay to say that I'm ready for summer? Cutting a watermelon? Yes. Grilling? Yes. Light, fresh food? Yes. 

Dear Up All Night, I honestly can't get enough of you. So funny. Sometimes Tim and I think your writers have been secretly filming in our house.

Dear Sarah McLachlan, Wintersong is definitely my favorite seasonal album this year. Trust me and just download it, or listen to it on Spotify. It's not new, but I love it. If you haven't heard it, and you end up listening, let me know what you think!

Dear 2013, You're in a little over a week, and I couldn't be more excited. I know you're going to be great. I don't know how, but I'm looking forward to spending you with the loves of my life -- Tim and Maile -- whatever you may bring. For some reason, I feel like 2013 is going to be a big year for us; I can't wait for 2013. 2012 was wonderful in many ways, but also hard. I've learned a lot, and this next year I'll be focusing on the important stuff ... the stuff that really matters. In the meantime, I suppose I'm enjoying writing 2012 on the two or so checks I write each month. ;)

Dear Blog, I can't even tell you how happy I am writing, sharing, blogging here. I'm inspired, excited, and I really love it. This may only be a hobby, but it's important to me to keep it up, because I enjoy it. I'm not going to worry about getting caught up in a whole bunch of extras. I'm not going to worry about having to write when I don't want to, or when I'm too busy spending time with my wonderful husband and beautiful baby girl. That's a surefire way to take all the fun out of this space. I love calling this little corner my own, and all the crazy amazing friends I'm making!

Dear Maile, I'm working on relaxing. Have you noticed? I got upset with you the other day, and I realized that it was for no good reason. Really, picking up the bathroom could wait. I bring ridiculous, unnecessary stresses on myself sometimes, and that is not the example I want to set for you. What's more important? A tidy bathroom? Or reading Where the Wild Things Are for the ten zillionth time? You bet your hat that book is more important. ALWAYS. If the President decides to come over for dinner, and the house is a disaster, it will still be the book. Having daughters, I'm sure Mr. President will understand. I'm happy that I was able to catch myself, stop, breathe, and give you the attention you deserve. I pray that trend continues, and I'm sorry ... so sorry ... for all the times, past and future, that I forget. I'm just a silly grown-up, after all.

What do you want to say this Friday? And do you guys like these posts? Or would you like to see something different next year? Let me know in the comments!

The idea for this post came from the lovely Ashley, of Adventures of Newlyweds.

36 comments:

  1. Our family really enjoys our B&N dates too. Its something we started doing when Jay was just a little guy. We would grab a hot cocoa at the cafe and read books to Jay. Now when we go he reads to us...Its been cool to see the time we share their evolve. I really like the photo of your dad with Maile in the bookstore. That is a special memory. Glad you're working on relaxing, I constantly have to do the same thing..remember what is truly important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so special, Shannon! Hopefully that will be us with Maile, too.

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet post Katie :) Merry Early Christmas XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Stephanie! Happy Early Christmas to you, too! xo

      Delete
  3. WHAT?! 2013 in a week?! Totally hit me as I read that. Can't believe this year went by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to believe, isn't it?! Thanks so much for commenting today, Margaret!

      Delete
  4. Awe we love B&N! You are right, there is something so incredible about picking up a book especially in this day and age of iphones and computers :) And I feel ya on the "relaxing"...since Ivy has come, I've just had to get over my house not being spotless and things getting only half finished before the baby wakes up and needs me...my 3 kids are waaaaaay more important :) And more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you put that, Angela! "And more fun" ... SO TRUE!

      Delete
  5. The big girl ponytail is too cute!! I hear you on the books thing. I've actually never been into a Barnes & Noble... But I LOVE books. Nothing quite compares to the real deal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Nothing quite compares to a real book in your hands. I also love the smell, which is probably completely weird! But I did work at our campus library in college. :)

      Delete
  6. so many things I want to write here...in a nutshell:
    + cheese makes almost everything taste better.
    + b&n is my idea of a great outing...I love to browse the books and enjoy a hot beverage of some sort.
    + Michael and I LOVE Up All Night. it's a definite favorite around here!
    + you recommended "wintersong" to me a few weeks ago...I still need to check it out (in fact, I think I'll do that after I'm done commenting)
    + I adore your blog and am so thankful we met because of it. I also love the fact that you don't feel the pressure to blog every day or get caught up in all of the extras (I know I stress myself out about it at times, but try not to.)
    + we need James and Maile to meet sometime. they would just be precious together.

    Have a wonderful Christmas, sweet friend (although, I'm sure I'll talk to you before then, via twitter and/or FB.) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem ... in a nutshell!

      + When I first had to give up cheese, it was SUPER hard for me. If you asked Tim, I'm sure he'd tell you that I spent many afternoons full-on whining about it.
      + I think B&N outings will become more commonplace around here now. Maile was just in awe -- I need to start getting her to the library!
      + That reminds me that I still need to catch up on "Parenthood." Then again, from all the things I've seen on Facebook and Twitter, maybe I'd better not!?
      + And I adore you, my friend! Something that Michaela commented here the other day resonated with me -- that God places specific people in our lives -- and I don't see why that shouldn't include through blogging. Our "meeting" was providence ... I just know it!
      + Wouldn't that be fun? When we finally go up to see my parents in Iowa, I'm thinking a blog date is in order!

      Delete
  7. Thank you, friend! What are you baking? Maybe some new recipes will get me in the mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love these posts!! definitely keep them. i love every single answer. so i didn't realize you went dairy free. i did for josh and just never went back. and trust me, i love cheese!! good cheese!!

    well my dear, have a great weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! I really appreciate your feedback.

      Yes, I was soy and dairy free with Maile for about a year. We found out over the course of one very scary weekend that she had an intolerance to soy and dairy proteins. (Also, a tilted stomach, which accounted for her ridiculous acid-reflux.) Thankfully, she's outgrown the intolerance, but I'm having a hard time finding balance. I don't think I want to fully give up dairy, but I also know how great I felt when I wasn't eating it ... it's tough!

      A wonderful weekend to you, friend. I love your Christmas Card post! Especially the more serious photo of your three sitting on the fence.

      Delete
  9. Aaawww the photo of her sleeping is too cute! Have a wonderful Christmas & happy new year :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! She was sooo tiny!

      Happy Christmas to you -- and New Year, too!

      Delete
  10. I love that you and your dad had a tradition of going to B&N...and how neat that now guys go with your daughter. I agree with you-"there's just something about books!" There definitely is.
    I love what you wrote to Maile. I love your blog so much because you write so honestly- and it makes me know that I not the only one having moments like that sometimes! :) And I do the exact same thing when I am frustrated or feel bad about getting frustrated- we always grab a book and sit on the couch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello, hello! I recently found your blog, and its quite adorable. I love the look and feel you have created. :)Your love story, And little family are so precious! I just love it :)
    As I was perusing around, I was trying to find another way to contact you.. because i would like to talk to you about perhaps swapping buttons? If you think you would be interested in something like this, I'd love to hear from you! You can check my space out at www.greentreesredroses.blogspot.com and email me from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Kiri! Thank you so much for your sweet words.

      I'm so sorry you had trouble finding a way to contact me. Our site has been under construction, but -- as you can see -- is now relaunched with a fancy-schmancy email button! :)

      I read a little more about you on your blog, and the story about Jacob brought me to tears. I am absolutely interested in swapping buttons with you, and will email you soon about doing just that. I'd also like to talk to you about the possibility of hosting a giveaway, to bring more awareness to your inspired cause!

      I hope you're having a lovely weekend with family and friends. Merry Christmas, a bit early!

      Delete
  12. I don't want to freak you out but.........basically, WE'RE TWINS!!!!!!!

    My dad used to take me to a shopping center every weekend mostly for the B&N where we'd be for a few hours and usually a movie at the theater and a cd from best buy lol.

    I have a nook but if I love the book enough (usually) I'll buy it in print.

    Cheese? My husband said I was the best mom ever today because I let my daughter have the cheese off my salad at the restaurant today and I NEVER share my cheese. I want to go paleo in 2013 though =(

    And I'm baked-out too, I think I started off too strong this fall:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love it! It's always so much fun finding people with similar interests and stories.

      I love that you and your dad had almost the same daddy-daughter date nights as me and my own dad! We often did movies, too ... and I wish we lived closer so we could still do those things together. The father-daughter relationship is so special; I'm having a lot of fun seeing it develop between Tim and Maile.

      Your little anecdote about your daughter had me laughing out loud! I'm not one to part with my cheese without a fight either. What is it about our kids that makes us such "pushovers"?

      Thank you so much for stopping by, Grace! Your profile picture looks so familiar to me ... Do you have a blog?

      Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
    2. I don't know but I'm always sharing my food with my little squirrel!!! If I'm out without her I'm usually like "Anna would LOVE this" and take it to-go haha.

      Today you liked some of my pics on IG and since you had your blog title on there I googled =)

      my blog is gracelovesiggy.com, I switched to google+ awhile ago thinking I'd be able to delete some blogs off my gfc but I had no such luck and now my blog name doesn't pop up when I comment (something I keep forgetting!)

      Delete
  13. Lovely photographs! :)

    -Sabrina
    http://thelittleowlshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. Your little letter to Maile is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michaela!

      Merry Christmas to you and yours. <3

      Delete
  15. Just found your blog through His Little Lady.
    New follower! Follow me back too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberly! Thanks so much for letting me know how you found me; it's always good to know. :) I'll be sure to stop by your blog!

      Delete
  16. I love barnes and nobles too. . . I could seriously spend hours in there! :-) Found you through casey! :-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's a favorite place of ours. :)

      Thanks so much, Elizabeth Ann! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  17. Hey fellow cheesaholic :)!
    Just wanted to wish you a happy new year too! Have a good one :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore this post, I am definetely all over the "dear so and so" conversation starters. Yours is adorable. Just like your little sweetie and the story time you so graciously shared.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bethany!

      I hope you'll stop by again soon -- I just love your blog!

      Delete