HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

December 14, 2012

Friday's Letters


Last week's date night. We didn't have time for dinner. Thus, the ginormous pretzel, accompanied by a ginormous Icee. :)

Dear Pinterest, Why don't I have the time to actually do (or cook) all the things I pin? I made a goal for myself to cook at least one recipe a week from one of my Pinterest boards, and I'm happy to report that I've been successful in this endeavor! Because really, that should be what Pinterest is about. Doing! Does anyone else have this issue? Pinning without doing? Haha. Maybe it's just me. This weekend, I want to try these for lunch; this simple recipe just looks too delicious not to try!

Dear Hobbit, I'm kind of obsessing over you ... and the fact that I get to see you today. I've been geeking out ever since I saw the first preview, and I've been waiting for you for a long time. I first read The Hobbit when I was in 6th grade, and absolutely fell in love with Middle Earth. Nerdy as it may be, it's absolutely one of my all-time favorite books. I cry every time I read it; there's just something about that journey that touches me. It's such a beautiful novel, and I can't wait to relive it in the theater. I am well aware that this probably reads ridiculously, but I can't help it ... I am ex-ci-ted.

Dear Home, This spring, let's get organized, shall we? I love the idea of spring cleaning. Once upon a time, when I only had a dorm room, sorority house room, or small apartment, I actually did spring cleaning. Now, the thought of it kind of overwhelms me. Okay. It really overwhelms me. Before Maile, I was exceptionally neat. Believe it or not, I used to enjoy going through things, throwing things away (my favorite!), and organizing. Now, the papers on my makeshift desk are piled high, we have at least four junk drawers, and I'm afraid to open the door to the room that will hopefully, someday, house another wee babe. True story. Spring cleaning? Happening. It's going to be a thing.

Dear Coca-Cola, Some people drink a glass of wine at the end of a long day; I have you. I think you're perfect, high fructose corn syrup and all. 

Dear Self, I'm so happy with the changes being made to this little blog. Some minor design changes have taken place over the past week or so, but I decided to go ahead and completely overhaul the design (stay tuned!) for many reasons, but one of the biggest is that I feel that the current space isn't representative of who I really am. Who our family is. And why? This is my space. Our space. I don't like that I don't feel at home here. I also don't enjoy writing "to the design." It takes the fun out of blogging. I think I'm gaining a more self-assured attitude toward this little blog, and I love all things fresh, clean, and girly, but that style isn't my reality. I look forward to sharing more here that I might typically have left out. I want to thank my friends here for being so honestly, genuinely interested in what life is like for our family -- the family of an oil rig driller. The comments, tweets, Facebook messages ... mean the world to me. This is not to say that there will be drastic content changes, just that I plan on being more open about how intentionally we have to live, with Tim being gone half or more of the year. I'm feeling wonderful about refocusing my energy on making Standpipe & Sprinkles a real roughneck family lifestyle blog.

Dear Lumineers, You're pretty fantastic. I usually listen to your album once or twice a night ... I love it. And I wonder how I haven't known until now that you're based here in Denver!? Yes. ::fist pump:: Thanks to you, Christmas music has been put on the back burner, and I don't see that changing.

Dear Weekend, How did you come 'round so quickly? Today, Tim and I have a great date planned. Between The Hobbit and dinner, I think it's going to be pretty amazing. Does that make me sound old? That a movie and dinner sounds amazing to me? Don't tell me if it does ...
Then, on Saturday, we'll be catching up around the house. Wrapping a few presents. Getting a few groceries. Rig laundry will need to be done. Is it bad that I want to put off Sunday for as long as possible? Take your time, Sunday. Take your time.


The idea for this post came from the lovely Ashley, of Adventures of Newlyweds.

23 comments:

  1. I'm usually pretty good about cooking the meals I find on Pinterest, but I tend to put off the baking and crafting projects quite a bit. It's hard to do it all when there's so many amazing things out there. You'll eventually get to them all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting better about meals, too! Hooray!

      I'm under no delusions that I'm crafty, but I'm starting to think that I at least need to *try*. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love reading your words, they are just so peaceful. I'm looking forward to the new things that you'll be opening us up to in your life and sharing. Please keep those wonderful photos coming though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shannon. I promise to keep on with the photos!

      I realized that I was letting the evil of comparison sneak into my heart and mind again -- the main I reason I stopped blogging my first time around (a few years ago). I could probably go on and on about it, but suffice it to say that our Lord convicted me in my heart that I have my own, unique, just as important story to share, and so that is what I'll do!

      Delete
  3. I have done just a handful of things I have found on pinterest. I just haven't had the time or space. Hopefully once my fiance and I find a home I will have more space to do projects and LEARN to cook! And, a cold glass of coca cola is so refreshing :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that more space = more productivity! I'm afraid that hasn't been the case for me, haha.

      Hope you had a lovely weekend, Margaret!

      Delete
  4. I simply love the concept of these Friday letters. I MAY have to follow in your steps and begin this myself (emphasis on may as I have completely neglected my blog for weeks now!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blog. :)

    I feel the same way about Pinterest. Wish I had enough time to do all of that. Or even half. Or...even 1/4. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura!

      Your comment made me laugh out loud. Obviously, I feel exactly the same way! Haha.

      Delete
  6. I love these. I think your blog is just great, but can't wait for the redesign ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh, we have so much in common! yes, i do a lot of pinning without the doing. guilty for sure.
    i also got to see the hobbit this weekend! i was not let down at all. i was definitely excited about it from beginning to end.
    i'm with you on spring cleaning. only i do mine in winter. i think it might have to do with the whole new year/winter birthday thing, but yea, i'm with you!
    alsooo..i'm with you on the coca cola, too! there's just something about the corn syrup that is just quite delicious after a long day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about The Hobbit! I have some friends who were disappointed, but I wasn't at all -- Going in, I was COMPLETELY unaware that they were turning the book into a trilogy, but I'm pretty excited that we'll get to see most of the story, without too much being cut out ... it's always been my favorite of the LOTR series!

      Delete
  8. oh, and of course i love the lumineers too!
    and it's so awesome that you live in denver. i've been once and i loved it. can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I try to do half the things I pin on Pinterest. Except nails... some of those designs are challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would never dream of attempting a nail design! I'd bring a picture into the manicurist. ;) That would require me getting a manicure, though ... haha!

      Delete
  10. I've tried to (unsuccessfully) stay off Pinterest the last little bit because I feel so overwhelmed with how much I have pinned but how little time I've spent doing the pins I am actually really excited about. :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand! I think I've gotten much better about Pinterest. I try to limit my time there to maybe 10 minutes over the course of a day, if I find myself there. :)

      Delete
  11. Love The Lumineers! And The Hobbit was amazing! Loved it! :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to both! We really enjoyed The Hobbit, too ... I just wish I would've known that they are making it a trilogy! I had no idea, since each of the other books only got one movie. ;)

      Delete
  12. I'd love to know what you've been cooking from Pinterest...ooooh, Katie....will you post a recipe on my Monday recipe post?? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to feature you!!

    Anyway, back to the comment...lol...I love that you are thinking about spring cleaning already! It's December girl! ha ha!

    xoxo
    Kyna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yes please! I'd love to do a recipe feature. I actually have a few ideas. Tried-and-true Mitchell recipes! LOL ... Maybe I can email them to you?

      I know. I'm nuts. Having a baby has made me sooo cluttered and unorganized, though! I need to get it under control before we start thinking about another one, or I'm going to end up on an episode of "Hoarders."

      Delete