HEADER

 photo SYT_header_zps33613037.jpg

LINKS

home about love ourhome sponsor contact

November 22, 2012

Gratitude


Me and Maile, at our local Tree Lighting, last week.

I thought I'd share some more serious things that I'm grateful for ... Especially when I'm feeling down, I try and make a mental list of what I'm thankful for. I have to admit that writing these lists doesn't always improve my mood, but it does give me perspective, and it's a good exercise, and I like having the idea of a post to look back on, on a particularly down day, to give me some cheer. 

My family. I feel blessed to be married to my best friend. Even better? He's an amazing father. Every day, I wake up feeling grateful for Tim. And now that we have sweet Maile in the picture, life just feels ... right. I love spending my days with Maile -- Her laughs and smiles have brought me more happiness than anything in the world, and I feel like it's much easier to put a positive spin on even the worst of things, with our sweet little girl calling me "Mama". Even our worst days together come with good, and for that I am incredibly thankful. Of course, beyond we three mouseketeers, I'm deeply appreciative of all my family. We have a dependable one, and I never want to take that for granted.

Technology. While I do feel that it can be a burden, or even a hindrance, if you allow it to be so, I am crazy about the fact that we are connected. Intertwined. We're able to keep in touch with our faraway family (which, is all of our family) and friends. I can chat on my phone with a sorority sister in Kuwait -- and that's pretty marvelous.

Teddy, Chester, and Mischka. Before Maile was born, they kept me sane when Tim was at work. Things have changed completely, and sometimes between two dogs, a cat, and a toddler, I feel like I might go insane, but they really are sweet, sweet creatures. I still sometimes feel like we're in a transitional phase, with the addition of Maile to the family, but the boys dogs, especially, are Maile's best friends. It is so fun to watch them play and explore and snuggle. Chester's pretty much in heaven with a full-time playmate!

Health. Even on the days I'm not quite feeling up to par, I'm so very thankful for this. I've seen many people in my life deal with difficult issues -- from my mom's radical hysterectomy, to my dad's diabetes -- there have been some real challenges. This verse can be applied to many aspect's of one's body, but recently, I've been using it as a daily reminder to take care: Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. {1 Corinthians 6:19-20}

Clean water. Full bellies. A home. 

My education. Yes, I stay at home with Maile; I'm also proud of the fact that I was able to attend both college and graduate school. My college years were some of the best of my life ... not just socially, but also intellectually. I learned so much from my professors, and my classmates. I have a love for writing. A passion for politics. A heart for the voiceless. These things have been a part of me for a long time, but a select few instructors at Roanoke and DU -- two of whom I call mentors -- ignited something in me. I often think of the educators who've helped shape me, and I feel grateful to be an educated woman. 

Friends. I do believe that marriage and motherhood have changed my ideas of friendship, some. These transitions have, perhaps, left less close friends in my life. I admit to sometimes struggling with feeling lonely, but overall, I think that the natural friend filtration process adulthood brings is a positive process. For the most part, I'm able to focus my energy on my "besties", instead of spreading myself thinly, with a lot of people, some of whom probably didn't really care that much about me. I've learned to guard my heart, and I truly believe that my friends are some of the most wonderful spirits on Earth. Recently, I've also met some new mama friends, both locally and through blogging, and I delight in them so! The support that mothers can show each other is really amazing.

To wrap this little list up, some random things: This blog, the men and women of our great nation's Armed Forces, devotionals by Karol Ladd, our DVR, feeling like I'm getting a little bit closer to coming into my own in my faith, leggings, my Kindle -- getting to instantly read almost anything I want, Jack in the Box coming to town, D'Anjou pears, Elementary, cheese (specifically feta and chèvre), Kate Middleton -- for bringing modesty back en vogue, and you!

What are you thankful for? You can link up here, or just post a list on your blog, and leave your link below so I can check it out!

Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post! So many things to be Thankful for! :) Hope you're day is great even with your husband working! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you're having a great visit in CO!

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, friend!
    Loved this post. So many things to be thankful for...
    Also, thanks for the link up recommendation. I linked up. :)

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so lovely! We all have SO much to be thankful for! I wish we did Thanksgiving here in Australia! x

    ReplyDelete